Learn more about the latest developing trends and hot topics in the energy, mining and infrastructure industry.
Financing the Energy Transition: Global Trends in Renewables (7 April 2022)
Renewable energy, which includes wind, solar and other renewables, achieved a new investment record of USD 366 billion committed in 2021 – and investments are expected to grow exponentially. Given current energy transition needs and a reshaping of policy going forward, financing is a key to achieving investment milestones and project development goals. In this webinar, our energy and financing practitioners discuss the options, trends and considerations to help bring clarity as project sponsors, lenders and investors move forward with their energy transition strategy.
Hydrogen: From Talk to Walk – Key Issues and Pioneer Projects (15 February 2022)
Hydrogen continues to gain momentum with a number of countries accelerating hydrogen policy developments and scaling up production capabilities. With this comes a rise in pioneer hydrogen projects across the globe seeking to build up supply chains and reduce costs. It is clear that hydrogen will remain an essential component of the energy transition and that it will be play a leading role in the race to decarbonization. In this webinar, our industry-focused practitioners discuss the potential of adapting and developing existing market structures and models to the new hydrogen market, as well as key issues emerging from pioneer hydrogen projects.
Carbon Capture and Storage: From Policy to Project Implementation and Its Role in the Energy Transition (15 July 2021)
Carbon capture and storage technology affords opportunities to substantially reduce the impact of plentiful yet environmentally damaging fossil fuels during the transition into a low-carbon economy. Carbon capture, transport, storage and long-term management raise unique challenges for policymakers, legislators and project proponents alike.
Join our market-leading professionals and guest speaker Ian Havercroft, Principal Consultant – Policy, Legal and Regulatory at the Global CCS Institute, to learn about:
- Carbon capture storage and its significance in the energy transition
- Current legal and regulatory landscape across key jurisdictions
- Key risks and structural issues and how are they addressed in major markets
The New EU Taxonomy’s Impact on the Energy Sector (18 May 2021)
The EU taxonomy will impact both access to finance and the perception of companies and investors as ‘green’ or not. Find out how this new piece of legislation determines whether an economic activity is deemed as “sustainable” and how it specifically applies (or not) to the production of renewable energy, hydrogen and CCS, among others. This webinar explores:
- Why is the EU taxonomy important? (00:00 – 05:26 mins)
- What are the practical obligations associated with the EU taxonomy? (05:27 – 16:45 mins)
- How does the EU Taxonomy work? (16:45 – 26:58 mins)
- How does the EU Taxonomy apply to the energy sector? (26:59 mins onwards)
Corporate Renewable PPAs: 2021 & Beyond Webinar Series (January – March 2021)
Join us for a four part series where we delve into this ever increasingly relevant market. Further information can be found here.
What Will the Future of Energy Look Like in the US Under a Biden Administration? (16 December 2020)
Baker McKenzie’s Energy and Environmental Groups held a webinar to examine what is in store for the energy sector under a Biden Administration and his ambitious plan for a “Clean Energy Revolution and Environmental Justice.” The panel spoke on the potential impacts of the Biden Administration’s immediate and long-term actions on both the conventional and renewable energy sector, as companies seek transformation and diversification in their portfolios and market offerings. The team also discussed expected climate change regulatory initiatives and expanded ESG reporting and disclosure efforts likely to affect the direction and pace of the US energy transition.
Opportunities and Challenges in New Markets for Offshore Wind
Global offshore wind capacity reached 29GW in 2019, a tenfold increase since 2010. While Europe has been the focus of the offshore market, competing without subsidies and floating into deeper waters, offshore wind is rapidly expanding to new markets as technology costs decrease and profit margins for onshore projects become squeezed by tenders and fluctuating power prices. In this webinar, our practitioners discuss the risks and opportunities faced by offshore wind and the development potential in new markets.
Antitrust Compliance in the EMI Sector
This webinar covers the most important compliance and enforcement trends that affect the energy, mining and infrastructure sector.
Distressed M&A and Restructuring & Insolvency
In partnership with the Association of International Petroleum Negotiators (AIPN), we held webinars in relation to:
- Distressed Oil & Gas Acquisitions: A Look at the US – As Oil & Gas sector companies continue to mitigate a complex market reality and investors begin to explore potential acquisitions, this webinar focuses on how to maximize value in acquisitions when dealing with distressed targets and parties. Access webinar
- Eastern & Southern African Oil & Gas Markets: Financing the Recovery – Oil & Gas companies are on the search for banking and financial support in the East & Southern African Oil & Gas sector as they try to alleviate market challenges, this webinar aims to explore the role of Private Equity and other lenders in supporting economic recovery with solutions to finance and support recovery and ensure future sector growth. Access webinar
- Looking Past COVID-19: An Asian View of the LNG Industry – LNG companies are exploring their options in this complex market. This webinar centers on a forward-looking view of the LNG industry, touching on the market situation and project developments in Asia and the need to maximize value and minimize risk in a post-COVID-19 world. Access webinar
The Rise of Hydrogen: Policy, Practice and Projects
The transition of the global energy sector from fossil-based fuels to zero carbon has been at the top of the agenda for many governments and market players around the globe for the past few years. In this webinar, the discussion touched upon the role of hydrogen in the context of energy transition; government support of “green” hydrogen industry; and opportunities for first movers into the new decarbonized hydrogen market. It also includes case studies of hydrogen projects we’ve been involved in.
Corporate Sourcing of Renewable Energy
In partnership with the Global Wind Energy Council (GWEC), Global Solar Council (GSC) and RE100, we have organized a webinar series on how corporate sourcing of renewable energy in emerging wind and solar markets is transforming energy systems around the world, focusing on the following high-impact markets: