On November 25, 2020, the Office of the United States Trade Representative (USTR) published in the Federal Register a notice [Docket No. USTR–2020–0036] that USTR will convene a virtual public hearing and accept rebuttal comments in the Section 301 investigation concerning Vietnam’s acts, policies, and practices related to the import and use of illegal timber.
To be assured of consideration, requests to appear at the hearing must be submitted through the Federal eRulemaking Portal: www.regulations.gov (Regulations.gov), following the instructions for submitting comments in section III of the notice by December 10, 2020 at 11:59 pm. The request to appear must include a summary of the testimony. The hearing will be held virtually on December 28, 2020, at 9:30 am. To be assured of consideration, post-hearing rebuttal comments must be submitted by January 6, 2021, at 11:59 pm.
USTR invites hearing testimony regarding:
- The extent to which illegal timber is imported into Vietnam.
- The extent to which Vietnamese producers, including producers of wooden furniture, use illegal timber.
- The extent to which products of Vietnam made from illegal timber, including wooden furniture, are imported into the United States.
- Vietnam’s acts, policies, or practices relating to the import and use of illegal timber.
- The nature and level of the burden or restriction on U.S. commerce caused by Vietnam’s import and use of illegal timber.
- The determinations required under section 304 of the Trade Act, including what action, if any, should be taken in the investigation.